You know sometimes you post about something and you need an update but it doesn’t warrant a whole blog. Or sometimes someone made a comment that really resonated with you. Yup, Follow-Up Friday baby!
Clearly hubby and I need our heads examined because we took all three dogs to the vet last night. Each of them needed “something” so we decided that it was just easier to get it all over with at one time.
Thunder had a recheck with the orthopedic vet and I am sorry to say that the cast is still on.
The vet did his calculations and he said that Thunder’s cast has been on for the minimum time to benefit from it. He clarified that 5 weeks is the longest he would leave a cast on for this type of injury and if it stayed on for a day or two past that, it was OK. Since the skin under the cast looks really good, Thunder has it for at least another week. The vet also said that Thunder will probably be a bit lame once the cast comes off because the tendons will be stiff and it will take a day or two for them to stretch out.
Storm needed to go to the vet because she was a bit overdue for her immunizations. We held off in case she was pregnant. We were pleasantly surprised with her weight. She looks like she has gained a ton of weight, but her weight on the scale was not too bad. We have cut her food back a bit and with increased activity she should be back to her optimum weight soon.
Once we finished with the ortho vet, we waited for the vet that did Storm’s gum surgery in June. Unfortunately she had a patient that took a turn for the worse so she was dealing with that. Storm likes this vet so we waited.
Once the vet came in, we spent some time talking about Storm’s risk of pyometra since she had a false pregnancy and has had them in the past. Pyometra is a bacterial infection of the uterus. The vet went over symptoms which she said can be non-specific. Her recommendation was to watch for anything that may seem a little “off” to us. There are specific symptoms but those do not always manifest until the infection is in full swing. You really want to catch this as early as possible because it can lead to death rather quickly.
We also discussed having Storm spayed. It is the only surefire way to prevent pyometra. Our plan was always to have her spayed once her breeding obligation was over. She is five years old so it is time to look ahead to having that done. We discussed different options, including laser vs. traditional. We also discussed timing and whether it mattered where she was in her cycle. The answer was no, except that they do not like to do it while the dog is in season or for a couple of weeks after due to increased blood flow to the area. Another important consideration for us is how long she will be out of commission. Whenever we do it, we have to consider Storm’s training/testing schedule and the all important hunting season. It was an informative discussion.
Storm had a bit of an exam, got her immunizations and then was finished.
Freighter went along because we wanted to weigh him. He has not been weighed since April. He will be 11 months old on Sunday and weighed in at 66.4 lbs. A good weight. The weight range in the Chessie standard is 65 to 80 pounds for a male and I think he will end up somewhere in that range. He may grow a bit taller, but I don’t think it will be much. I don’t think he will be anywhere near as big as his grandfather Thunder.
We also needed the vet to check out Freighter’s leg where his dewclaw was removed. Although it was removed by a vet when he was a wee pup, it seems that it has grown back. It started out as a little hub and now is longer with a “nail” that is growing like a “U”. I put nail in quotes because as I understand it, it may not be an actual nail.
We had both the regular vet and the orthopedic vet looks at it. Both of them agreed that it is probably best to have it removed because there is a good chance it will catch on some brush and rip one day.
There is a bit of a debate about removing dewclaws. But if you speak to vets that have had to repair them, it is not always an easy fix and can cause the dog to be out of commission for a long time while it heals. We agreed the best thing to do is to have it removed before he rips it. We also agreed that the orthopedic vet would do the surgery and decided to wait until January because it is probably the best time for Freighter to have a bit of down time.
After a couple of hours and swapping out dogs, we were finally finished. The best part. I only paid for the immunizations. I really like my vet.
Have a nice weekend!